Thursday, February 10, 2011

Blueberries - Step 1 "Planting"

One of the 6 Blueberries I planted in my own yard this year. I will be posting as I tend them throughout the season and we'll see how the harvest is.
Plant blueberries at least 4 feet apart, to allow them space to grow. Dig a hole at least twice as wide as the root ball, but no deeper than the container the shrub is in. After setting the shrub in the hole, backfill with a mix of peat moss and topsoil. Blueberries thrive in acidic soil, and the peat moss will keep the pH at the proper level. Then mulch, (I used cocoa mulch) and water frequently until the plants establish themselves. Blueberries have a shallow root system making mulch essential. A 3 to 4 inch deep layer about 2 feet in all directions will maintain soil moisture.

No comments:

Post a Comment